Many of us know that Google has been working for near to a decade to encrypt connections between its users and own servers(Google servers), as they have already encrypted their own products way before like, Google search site (https://google.com), Gmail, Google drive, Google Maps and many other products by default . In the same flow they have found it necessary to safeguard the interest of the bloggers like us, and for the same reason a few months ago they have introduced HTTPS secured connection for Blogspot bloggers. Yes, it was a few months ago(mid of last year) they have introduced a beta version(test version initial rollout of HTTPS support for Blogspot) but now as it is post-Beta session and fully functional at my own (Blogspot)website called “easysolutions”. I thought of discussing the settings up method and usefulness of this new feature by blogger(a Google product). But before we go on to setup, let’s find out what is HTTPS secure domain connections and why do we need it in the first place.
HTTPS is a cornerstone of internet security because it gives certain very necessary benefits as you grow your blog every day.
1. This secure connection prevents internet hackers or unethical activist from tracking activities of a blog publisher like you and its visitors, even prevent them from stealing information’s or data’s from his website.
2. It also helps visitors or readers to check your blog correctly without getting redirected to any other malicious networks.
3. As you encourage readers to submit valid personal data’s like name, mail ids, etc. for regular assistance, offers or instant newsletter updates directly to their mail, parallel to that it comes to your responsibility to prevent spam emails via external hackers and ensure privacy, therefore, HTTPS secure connection, in this case, helps detect if any bad activist tries to change any data sent from blogger to a blog visitor.
So if the above-mentioned points are convincing enough, as a blogger you may be willing to enable this service (HTTPS://) support as early as today. So I will take you down to the setup configuration with some easy steps to follow:
1. Login to https://www.blogger.com and click to a specific blog(if you have more than one blog)you would like to convert it to https:// enabled.
2. Navigate to the settings page, select “Yes” for –https availability-.
Please note a point to especially for the authors who own custom domains on Blogspot, is that in this first version of HTTPS-secure connection is not supported for custom domains blogs, although it’s unfortunate but I believe it will get introduced for custom domains as well in the following updated version.
Once you have enabled following the procedure your blog will now become accessible over both HTTP:// and HTTPS:// connections. As a BlogSpot publisher you must know that as you choose to encrypt your site now, the next time when you edit or while publishing your next blog you may see a warning saying some of the current functionality of your blog may not work over HTTPS. You need not worry for that, it’s absolutely ok, in very rare case it may result in some templates or gadgets or blog post content due to mixed content errors, off-course it is mostly fixable by blog author itself. For more information visit my following blogs post where I will simplify it too or if in a hurry you may visit Blogger Help Center.
So guys, Blogspot authors who have already tried this out following my procedure – I am interested to hear your feedback, if you have any issues while setting up, feel free to drop your questions in the comment box below, I will try to answer all your questions. Bye bye, I will be back with my next blog post till then stay well.